The way people view content – and the devices they consume it on – is rapidly changing. With “the new living room, lean-back experience,” flexibility is key, as consumers want to watch quality programming and content at any time, anywhere, on any device, immediately, and with ease.
Thanks to Nielsen, we have some new insights into the viewing habits of Linear, Over-the-Top (OTT), and Connected TV (CTV) audiences. Here are some of the key takeaways:
Connected TV Audiences are Growing …
- – American homes now consume 8 billion hours of content, per month, through connected TV devices like Roku, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire.
- – 19 percent of live CTV viewers are ages 25-34, whereas 7 percent of live Linear TV viewers are in the same age group.
- – Viewers average an hour daily watching content on a connected device, 36 minutes on a computer, and 24 minutes on a smartphone or tablet.
… but Linear TV Still Captures the Majority of Viewers’ Time
As the Video Advertising Bureau found that:
- – 73 percent of homes still subscribe to cable or mVPD and spend 81 percent of their viewing time with Linear.-
- – 89 percent of adult viewers “highly enjoy” watching content on a TV
- – Advertisers invested more than $64B in ad-supported TV in 2018.
The Second Screen Phenomenon
The VAB also found that:
- – 29 percent of Linear TV viewers interact with their second screen in a way that relates to the content they are viewing or its commercials.
- – 34 percent of OTT viewers use their second screen in the same way.
Learn more about the second screen and the opportunities with TEGNA Marketing Solutions available here.
The Importance of Combining Linear & OTT
Whether your business is a grocery chain focused on a local neighborhood or a regional automotive, with Nielsen’s insights, it’s clear that advertisers need to consider an integrated approach to TV and OTT advertising.
With TEGNA Marketing Solutions Pre-Roll Digital Video ads, a business can reach up to 50 million Americans on 47 stations in 39 US markets per month. With Premion (a division of TEGNA), advertisers have access to more than 100 top-tier content providers sourced through direct partnerships, advanced targeting and seamless integration across multiple networks.
With such a wide reach, it’s hard to ignore how many customers you can capture by advertising through Linear and OTT. Learn how you can place your ads alongside both Linear and OTT with TEGNA Marketing Solutions.
About TEGNA Marketing Solutions
The marketing experts at TEGNA stay up-to-date with industry news so we can continue to be Trusted Advisors to our clients. We take the time to understand our client’s unique marketing needs to create a customized solution based on insights and industry expertise. From concept development to implementation and measurement, we offer the highest level of support as your marketing partner. Contact TEGNA Marketing Solutions today to find out how we can improve your marketing strategy.
TEGNA has made our business an actual brand, not just a startup. It’s driven people to see we’re a real company with quality products.
I’m averaging 5 to 10 phone calls a day with people calling for more information about our school. They say they were searching online and saw our ads — our internet marketing is working very well.