The pandemic has propelled education into a new digital age. As an educational institution, how will you reach parents and students prepping for back-to-school season? Messages will have to be delivered thoughtfully, creatively, and carefully. These insights from #TeamTEGNA will help to inform your back-to-school marketing campaigns.
1. Back-to-School is BIG this year
After the disruption of the pandemic and the return to a “normal” school year in Fall 2021, many parents and retailers are gearing up for this new back-to-school season. According to Retail-Me-Not’s How to ACE Your Back-to-School Strategy for 2021:
- – 56% of shoppers are looking forward to the coming school year more than usual
- – 58% of U.S. consumers say the back-to-school season will be a bigger deal this year
- – 77% of senior retail leaders are planning to increase their marketing investment this back-to-school season
- – Compared to 2020, parents for the upcoming back-to-school season are anticipated to spend $1,333 this year (+150% from 2020).
- – 1 in 4 plan to spend more on technology than they did in 2020
2. In-Store or E-Commerce?
With E-commerce’s growth in 2020, it is no surprise that 48% of consumers are planning to do most of their shopping online. In-store still leads the way, with 52% of consumers who plan to do most of their back-to-school shopping at a brick-and-mortar location. Why? RetailMeNot found that out of the parents surveyed:
- – 47% Getting purchases immediately
- – 42% Seeing/trying on items in person
- – 34% Accessibility and Convenience
- -33% Enjoy the in-store experience
- – 31% In-store only discounts/promotions
3. Deals are the Ultimate Driver
One of the differentiators a brand can have this back-to-school season is its deals and promotions.
- – 95% of U.S. shoppers search for deals for their back-to-school shopping
- – 47% of shoppers say cost is the biggest driver for purchase decisions during back-to-school
- – 70% of shoppers find coupons influential for purchase decisions
- – 61% of shoppers find cash-back offers influential for purchase decisions
A Good Media Strategy is a Must-Have
Now that we know what to expect from parents and students this year, how will your brand communicate its messages to the target back-to-school audience? Data from Simmons shows that:
- – 81% of parents with children 5-17 watch broadcast TV weekly
- – 57% of parents with children ages 5-17 watch local news throughout the week
- – 90% of parents with children ages 5-7 are OTT viewers
- – More than 20% are more likely to have been influenced by an online video to make a purchase decision.
- – More than 32% are more likely to have been influenced by a display ad to make a purchase decision.
TV BROADCAST, OTT & DIGITAL WITH TEGNA
With 64 local news stations in 51 markets across the country, TEGNA offers broadcast opportunities for brands to extend reach, scale, and connect with target audiences for a low CPA. Meanwhile, Local TEGNA stations reach an average of 35 million digitally each month, and ads placed here come in a variety of forms including display ads, pre-roll digital video, and act as the perfect digital complement to TV ad campaigns. Click here to learn more.