It seems like the kids just got out of school for the summer. For marketers, however, back-to-school season is already upon us. Second only to the holiday season, back-to-school shopping was expected to reach $83.6 billion in 2017, making it critical to strategically plan your back-to-school marketing campaign if you want to see success.
Luckily, coupon website RetailMeNot has released a new report full of insights for those looking to reach back-to-school shoppers in 2018. Here’s what it found:
- 89% of retailers believe there is more competition than ever for back-to-school shoppers.
- 72% will be increasing their investments with social media platforms.
When to reach shoppers
- Peak back-to-school shopping season runs from mid-July through early September.
- Online shoppers should be targeted Monday through Thursday.
- In-store shoppers should be targeted on Saturdays via mobile.
- See the full calendar.
Deals are in Demand
- Nine in 10 retailers agree that offers and deals are the easiest way to reach shoppers.
- 80% of consumers would make a first-time purchase with a new retailer or brand if they found a good deal.
- The best promotions to run include storewide discounts, cash back offers, and codes for online and in-store sales.
- The average discount is 26 percent off.
- Average offer length runs 5 to 10 days.
- In-store offers generate 3x the engagement than online-only orders.
Results are Real
- Back-to-School digital ad campaigns account for 21 million dedicated emails sent, which leads to an average of 263 million impressions.
For everything back to school, TEGNA Marketing is the ideal study buddy to work with. From Brand Building to Targeted Emails and everything in between, our solutions are sure to bring home an outstanding report card. Contact TEGNA Marketing today to enroll.
For more information about Back-to-School marketing, see our insights from previous years:
I’m averaging 5 to 10 phone calls a day with people calling for more information about our school. They say they were searching online and saw our ads — our internet marketing is working very well.
TEGNA has made our business an actual brand, not just a startup. It’s driven people to see we’re a real company with quality products.